Thursday, October 15, 2009

Foo Dogs

A Foo Dog can also be referred to as the Celestial Dog or the Happiness Dog. They first appeared in Chinese art. Foo dogs are associated with Buddhism. They guard Buddhist temples in Asia and tend to look more like lions then dogs. Lions are considered scared in Buddhism. Foo dogs are often seen in male and female pairs. You can tell the male because he is depicted playing with a ball that is symbolic of the word. The female is usually seen holding a cub.












I have been on the hunt for a set of Foo Dogs. I have come across several pairs while antiquing put haven't been sold on any of them. My criteria is to find a pair in my price range that doesn't creep me out. I feel like Foo Dogs have a devilish expression and can be kind of frightening. I am fully confident I will know if it's meant to be, when I met the right pair.

3 comments:

Matters of Style said...

A few weeks ago, I saw the most incredible foo dogs at, of all places, the Marshalls/Homegoods outlet at Potomac Mills! They were SO good looking and cheap! There are also a zillion to be had on ebay.

Anonymous said...

I just bought a great beautiful large ceramic foo dog in kind of an antique beige color at home goods for 29.00. Was not part of a pair but I don't really have room for 2. I also saw some other smaller ones there.

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

SCORE! I love HomeGoods...I am overdue for a trip! xx