Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Dog Mountain

Image: Billy Cunningham for Architectural Digest
Dog Mountain in St. Johnsbury, Vermont is set on 150 acres and is home to The Dog Chapel. The late artist Stephen Huneck founded The Dog Chapel in 2000. He wanted Dog Mountain to be a place where you could celebrate the faith, trust and friendship that dogs bring to the world.

Image: Billy Cunningham for Architectural Digest
There is a no leash law on Dog Mountain so all the visitors are free to play as they please.

The Dog Chapel has a remembrance wall where people can leave photos, notes and cards honoring their pets.

Last month my Aunt's dog Sam passed away and my mom ordered her The Dog Chapel. I emailed her Sally Goes to Heaven which Stephen Huneck wrote after losing his beloved dog Sally.

Sam, I hope heaven is filled with lots of Gator rides and newspapers to retrieve.

For those of you who have ever loved or lost a dog, I am sure you can understand that Dog Mountain is a truly special place. If you feel inclined to help Dog Mountain continue to operate you can make a donation on the website.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow that looks amazing! My sympathies go out to your Aunt. xx

Amanda C. Bee said...

What special place! Hope your Aunt is doing well! x

j.mosby said...

I just lost my 18 year old Jack Russell "Frasier" this past Friday, what huge empty feeling of loosing a family pet I've been experiencing lately! It's totally heart breaking! He'll be missed greatly!

Whitney from Washington said...

This is so precious! I love my 10 year old Yorkie (Cole Lee) as a member of my family. I know there will be a day when I will have to deal with the pain your aunt is going through. I'm so sorry for her loss. I'm so glad you shared this. I've never heard of Dog Mountain, such a cool place!

Melissa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Aunt's dog.

What a great idea and place!

this is not a joke said...

The Washington Post did a piece last week about how to cope with the death of a pet. It might be useful for your aunt and other readers.

http://live.washingtonpost.com/grieving-the-death-of-a-pet:-how-to-cope.html

Summer is a Verb said...

Put in a request for my four leggers to round up a greeting party for Sam...XXOO