Thursday, July 22, 2010

Al Fresco Dinning

I first discovered Outstanding in the Field while thumbing through Vogue. Their outdoor restaurant concept is innovative and admirable.

"Our mission is to re-connect diners to the land and the origins of their food, and to honor the local farmers and food artisans who cultivate it.
Outstanding in the Field is a roving culinary adventure – literally a restaurant without walls. Since 1999 we have set the long table at farms or gardens, on mountain tops or in sea caves, on islands or at ranches. Occasionally the table is set indoors: a beautiful refurbished barn, a cool greenhouse or a stately museum. Wherever the location, the consistent theme of each dinner is to honor the people whose good work brings nourishment to the table.
Ingredients for the meal are almost all local (sometimes sourced within inches of your seat at the table!) and generally prepared by a celebrated chef of the region. After a tour of the site, we all settle in: farmers, producers, culinary artisans, and diners sharing the long table".




Outstanding in the Field, A Farm to Table Cookbook

It's so exciting to see more and more restaurants supporting local sustainable food.

8 comments:

KatiePerk said...

Me too! I think it is a fabulous concept! Great post!

JMW said...

I'm so glad to hear about this cookbook. And I LOVE the idea of al fresco dining, the long tables, eating out under the big sky. I told my hubby the other day that I want to do this at our new house, since we have a big yard for it. Will have to rent the tables & chairs, but TOTALLY worth it!

jenna ♥ a little blue said...

wow i love it! i have seen a few top chef episodes where they tackle this. it's great :)

Kimmy said...

This is a beautiful concept indeed. I love that Martha Stewart had her Thanksgiving dinner in her barn and it was quite lovely and festive.
Instead of a chalet in the mountains this year I think I will pitch to the family something a little more unorthodox, love the idea behind this strategy!
Have a lovely evening, cheers.

Sandra said...

This is so encouraging!! xoxo

Summer is a Verb said...

Omg, the bff Kimba will DIE for this cookbook. Off to alert her and add to my Amazon queue. Merci! XXOO

Megan said...

I love this concept and this book too... food tastes better when it's from close to home. How fun would it be to eat on that long table on the beach!?

Kerr said...

I want to dine in that gorgeous barn!