Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Memory Lane

Every time I drive by a Christmas tree farm or see Christmas trees for sale on the side of the road I am reminded of my college ceramics professor. He owned and operated a Christmas tree farm during the holiday season. The best part about his classes were the stories he shared from his life. He once told the class that when he saw a family that looked like they didn't have much money and could really use a free Christmas tree he would tell them they were the 100th customer and the tree was on the house. Sometimes it's easy to forget that this is the season of giving and a simple gesture can mean a great deal to someone else.

I was a Fine Arts major in college and my favorite medium was clay. My ceramics professor taught me to work hard to achieve goals for myself. Most of my art teachers shot my ideas down but he worked with me on developing them. Sculpting is one of the loves of my life and one day I will get back in the studio.

13 comments:

ERB said...

What a sweet memory. I would love to see some of your work. I am sure it is just as amazing as everything else you do! :)

Lilacandgrey said...

what a lovely post! i am all for following your passions and dreams :)

JMW said...

Your professor sounds like a very supportive and altruistic human being. Isn't it wonderful we encounter someone like that in our lives? Here's hoping you make it back to the studio!

Glitterista said...

Wow--your professor sounds like a wonderful man. We're so lucky for all the memorable and influential people whose paths cross ours. Thanks for the reminder for what the season is about. XOXO

QueenBeeSwain said...

you are simply too too presh!

kHm

Nelle Somerville said...

I was a fine arts major too! We should sign up for a Baltimore Clay Works class! It is near Woodberry Kitchen which could be a great motivator. Gov't Mule's for finished products. Love your stories. Thanks for the memories!!!

Summer is a Verb said...

Get back in that studio gurl! And, thank you for bringing me back to center again after a whirlwind few hours of focusing on ordering more stuff...XXOO

James said...

Wonderful Christmas memory.

Wm. J. Mills and Co. said...

Did you know you are the 100th bag customer this Christmas?

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

100th customer...that is music to my ears! xx

HipWaldorf said...

I was a fine arts major/MEd. who is now an elementary art teacher. Today, 4 days before Christmas, I am elbow deep in clay...they love it! It is inspiring to know that no matter how exhausted I am at the end of the day, I am allowing these "over tested" children to enjoy themselves...and just this afternoon I was telling my teacher friend to "pick me up an Hermes belt in NYC next week"....I still work for accessories! Enjoy!

The Preppy Princess said...

I love the way certain sights trigger memories, especially one like this. I'm guessing you are pretty good with the clay and the kiln, we need you to start making things & open a shop! (Not that it is my place to even suggest such such a thing!)

Sending you a smile,
tp

Ally said...

Such a great memory!! Thanks for sharing!! :)